Calvary is a multi-generational family church serving the Little Rock area with the good news of Jesus Christ. The church's vision is to develop disciples who make a kingdom of God impact in our city, state, nation, and world.
The mission of Calvary Baptist Church is to glorify God by making disciples who make disciples.
Our Definition of Disciple
A disciple of Jesus is one who follows him by loving God passionately and loving others selflessly.
We summarize this by saying a disciple "connects with God" and "connects with people."
A disciple connects with God by being...
A disciple connects with people by being...
The heart of a disciple...
History of Calvary Baptist Church
In the early 1930s, Pulaski Heights Baptist Church organized a mission church to reach and serve a new area of the city with the Gospel. The church was to serve new residential neighborhoods which included Forest Heights, Cammack Village, and Kingwood, which bordered the western limits of Little Rock at the time.
In 1932, early gatherings took place in members’ homes. As more space was needed, a storefront building was rented at the corner of Kavanaugh Boulevard and North Grant Street to hold worship gatherings and bible studies. The church was formally organized as West Calvary Baptist Church in March of 1937 with 42 charter members. Reverend Otto Sutton became the first pastor on July 1, 1937. Sadly, the storefront was destroyed by fire, and everything was lost with only one exception - a copy of a Bible owned by a charter member.
Shortly after the fire, a 250-seat worship center was built at the corner of Pierce and R Streets. The project was completed in 1939 with the help of church members at a cost of $7,500. At this time, the membership voted to drop the word “West” from the official name of the church.
Through the years, the church has enjoyed much fruitful ministry in the Heights area of Little Rock. As membership grew in the 1950s, new buildings were added to accommodate young families with a two-story educational building and a new sanctuary with seating for 500. In the following years three building projects were added, including a three-story adult educational space, a new children’s educational space and a Family Life Center. In 2011, the church completed a new sanctuary, holding a formal dedication on June 5.
Today, Calvary Baptist Church continues its rich legacy of serving the Little Rock area as a multi-generational family connecting with God and people.