In the early 1930’s, the congregation of Pulaski Heights Baptist Church voted to organize a mission with its vision to serve the area, which included Forest Heights, Cammack Village and Kingwood. At that time, these areas in Little Rock were family residential areas bordered the western limits of the city.
In 1932 early meetings were held in member’s homes. As the membership grew, larger accommodations were sought. A storefront building was rented at 5823 Kavanaugh Boulevard and North Grant to hold worship services and West Calvary Baptist Church was formally organized as a church in March 1937 with 42 charter members. The storefront was destroyed by fire and everything was lost except a copy of a Bible owned by a charter member. Reverend Otto Sutton became the first pastor on July 1, 1937.
In 1939, the membership voted to drop the word “West” from the official name. That same year, members lead by G.A. Casey did most of the construction work to build a frame sanctuary building seating 250 at a cost of $7,500.
God’s faithfulness was evidenced by the expansion of CBC’s facilities to accommodate a growing city and congregation by adding the following structures: a 3-story education building (1951), new sanctuary (1957), 3-story educational building (1965), children and adult education building built across “R” street (1982), Family Life Center (1990), Youth and Children’s wing and expanded parking (2003), new sanctuary seating 600 (2011). The CBC campus currently encompasses one city block plus approximately two thirds of another.